No announcement yet.

GRM at the moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gpred - apologies for coming across rude and ungrateful a week ago. You do an outstanding job manning this ship almost by yourself and you keep your cool a hundred times better than I would when dealing with us opinionated managers. The last thing I would want is to make you so fed up that you pack up.

Looking at my games this weekend, the game is playing very nicely indeed and it seems there is a good balance between running and kicking again whereas the previous update was starting to favour kick heavy sides. It also appears that rush defense won't be the answer for everything anymore which would force managers to reconsider how they set their defensive tactics. Keep it up!

Comment

• gpred
      gpred commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries Van. Thanks for all your support.

Well done to the Butchers on an L1 victory (hard luck Graham). I think your focus on basic skills like handling may have got you over the line in this one?!

There have been a lot of incremental improvements in the AI over the last 6 months. Because we see them incrementally it can get missed, but I too thought their was some good viewing to be had this weekend.

No doubt the focus on the AI has been at the expense of other things not receiving attention. But we'll get there.

• Should be all rolled over now.

This week I have one of the new personality breed of players on my free agents list. A lock he likes to take it into contact make his tackles by the looks of it,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock.png
Views:	134
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	25796
    Attached Files

Comment

• gpred
      gpred commented
      Editing a comment
      In the offseason period players with 99 discipline will train at twice their normal rate, players with 50 at their normal rate and a hypothetical player with zero discipline won't train at all.

• zagrijs
      zagrijs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for confirming gpred.

• samuelrambo
      samuelrambo commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know I'm not as stupid as initially suspected.

• Games should be available now. Good luck everyone

Comment

• Games are an absolute pleasure to watch Gabe, it looks really realistic and a great balance between attack and defense.

Comment

• GrahamNZ
        GrahamNZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Gabe - no complaints from me.
        You have done a great job.
        I was just putting down some thoughts.

You're right about discipline not affecting their tackling ability, as tackling has its own rating.
        Basically, discipline is all about poor execution of some basic skills in some situations.

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, thanks for clarifying and confirming the role of discipline. I also see the potential for extending the role of discipline in the game context - like the example used of urgent cover defense. Other areas may include "character" of player - e.g. a lower-disciplined player may indicate a more aggressive or fiery style of play which also may lead to higher probabilities of illegal execution of tackles (high & late), etc. In that context it might make sense to include one or two such players in the lineup for their roles as "enforcers" or intimidating the opposition, like forcing handling or passing errors or dislodging the ball when opposition is tackled. Really interesting possibilities!
        Last edited by danielw; 09-06-2020, 08:34 AM.

• zagrijs
        zagrijs commented
        Editing a comment
        For me discipline functions well and does what it needs, but I see limited value in it, because of the amount of penalties conceded in a game.

The average penalties conceded in round 1 in league 1 was 3. That means an average l1 player would concede a penalty every 5 games (sample size is very small I know, but I don't think these stats are that far off). So if I have to choose between a player with better skills in something like break tackle but lower discipline, I would always go for break tackle, since the odds are quite low that he will concede a bunch of penalties.

In real life discipline would be a vital skill for me as penalty counts tend to average around 10, which would then change the above a lot if the player with the low discipline concedes penalties more often.

So basically, if one wants to increase the importance of discipline, that is the area that I think the focus should be on, but done in a way that the penalties make sense, and doesn't just mean one player concedes penalties and another not, but both have the exact impact, so, for example, lower discipline could be enforcer that wins quick ruck ball, but sometimes cleans out dangerously.

• Zagriis commented:

"I feel we need to give Gabe something that he can look at to see if tweaks are necessary, just thinking that tries are scored to easily without any context doesn't give Gabe anything that he can look at improving.

Give actual examples inside games where you feel a try was scored too easily, then one can look at the situation and assess whether the try was scored too easily, for example if it is a big drive by a prop, being tackled by another prop with similar skillset and he moves 10m to score, then I would agree that the try was scored to easily, but if the tackler was a 80kg wing, then it is probably fair that the prop drives over.

If one then takes these examples and assessed and compared to real life there is an issue, then there is something that Gabe can look at adjusting as and when he is able to."

Very sensible and I subscribe to that. It will be a good idea to post examples/video clips. Personally, and for me the most obvious aspect that needs perhaps a re-look is the go-forward momentum of the attacker. I got the sense that attackers near the goal line are able to cross the line or barging over too easily, despite the presence of multiple defenders. As I'm typing. I'm watching Saracens vs Exeter, and in one instance Exeter were camping within 5-10 metres of Saracens try line, and despite using all their big blokes to carry the ball, they were stopped dead in their tracks (eventually Exeter scored by moving the ball wide through swift handling).

Comment

• zagrijs
        zagrijs commented
        Editing a comment
        On the momentum, my question would be how linked it is to lineout drives, if it can be adjusted without having an effect on lineout drives, where the balance is fine, then I'm in agreement.

If it cannot be adjusted separately then rather look at other options, such as defenders having the ability to hold the ball carrier up to force a maul and thus the turnover.
        Last edited by zagrijs; 09-14-2020, 06:37 PM.

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm listing below some video clips from this weekend matches where attacker is barging over the line with defenders trying to stop the attacker - some may feel in all instances the resultant try scored were 100% correct, in fact, in most cases, bar maybe one or two situations, I would agree with the outcome. In those situations where I have some doubts, I would tend to think that two or three defenders will be able to hold up the attacking player. The bottom line is I deem nothing major wrong with play, at best (or worst) it may require a minor tweak.

• zagrijs
        zagrijs commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed Dan, there were two occurences that were on the edge for me, one was an outside centre driving quite a bit with multiple defenders, that I would have expected to be stopped short.

The second was where the hooker carried the ball and didn't have a lot of momentum but his support came, formed a maul and drove him over. In that case with multiple defenders, I wouldn't expect him to be able to get a clear grounding, and might even have lost possession due to a maul being formed.

Neither of the above is impossible, but I would have considered it a very good play if they score from there, with the second one more being due to a feature that is not in the game atm.

Assessing the clips as a whole and not just looking at the final try scored drive, it looks very good with most drives not giving major yardage and when it gives a bit more I can understand it, for example where the defenders didn't commit to the ruck and a quick pick and go resulted in the defense not being in position, or other case where the player is through a half gap and the defense doesn't get a great front on hit on the attacker.

• Comment

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        Windows 10 enables one to capture game clips by pressing the Windows button + G on your keyboard. I upload these clips unto Youtube channel (you've to register and obtain permission from Youtube to upload videos) and from there I insert the Youtube links by using the formatting menu when creating a new post on the forum. The formatting menu is enabled by pressing the "A" button (if not already activated) towards the top right corner of the post you're creating. On the menu bar, you click "Insert Video" icon and copy the Youtube link of the video to the post. Sounds like a mouthful, but not that difficult, if i can do it... anyway, it's a fantastic tool to share great tries, smart play, or highligting specific areas of play as I've done above.
        Last edited by danielw; 09-16-2020, 04:18 AM.

• GrahamNZ
        GrahamNZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Is there a limit on the length of a clip?

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        Not that I'm aware of, though the maximum I've uploaded in the past was about 3 or 4 minutes - the longer the clip, the longer it will take to upload and be processed by Youtube. People like Cornflake upload 30 minutes plus game videos, but I'm not sure what capturing tool they're using, there are a host of these tools out there. See link: https://filmora.wondershare.com/scre...-captures.html

By the way, if you're playing GRM, subscribing to Cornflake's youtube channel is a must-do. Absolutely entertaining and a joy to watch Conflake's phenomenal talent of commentary in action (he is managing Invercargill Invaders in League 4 and broadcasting his team's games every week).
        Last edited by danielw; 09-16-2020, 06:51 AM.
    Working...
    X