Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really wish this guide came in before my troubles with two of my teams arose, especially Aberdeen. Financially I'm deep in the red, multiple key players retiring, only a lvl 1 stadium. I'm not sure if I'll be able to field a team next season, let alone a competitive one. Any way I could possibly get out of this mess?

Comment

• danielw
      danielw commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, while I agree with your sentiments, and it is certainly applicable with the current seeding system in force where a new manager starts at the bottom leagues and could work his way up the ranks over time, many new managers at the time, and thus before the current seeding system came into effect, took over teams that was ranked in perhaps the top leagues (based on the team's historical performances while it was a managed outfit) and found the going too tough and spent their initial bank balance on building squads to be competitive in those leagues - thus, my proposal was mainly directed at such managers. But on second thoughts, I guess relatively few of those managers anyway would accept voluntarily a significant drop in league rankings and would rather take their chances in their current leagues, maybe dropping a league or two over time if restructuring the team considerably, and thus following the long, long route to stadium upgrades.

• GrahamNZ
      GrahamNZ commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it would help struggling teams with Level 1 stadiums greatly if they could sign a small number (perhaps 2-3) of free agents for free, if they're in debt.
      Last edited by GrahamNZ; 03-02-2020, 06:44 AM.

• Cento
      Cento commented
      Editing a comment
      Like in the real world I would like to see a yearly sponsorship amount. This will help you in the start of a season and in line with modern rugby

See below a team that I got after round 4 , league 12. Any manager would walk away but for me it was a challenge to see what I could do with that team. The team were last on the log.

I did the following.

Change the name and colors of kit: Players must realize this is a start to a new legacy. Put the history behind you and build a new one

As there will be no scope for the team I decided to use this season to get my team ready for next season
    Upgrade to level 2 stadium (will only be ready for next season I think)
    Where there are injuries rather select LV to play to give them chance to recover from their injuries
    Buy FA at cheap rates to make up the squad
    Buy old and retired players as they are very cheap and some are still good enough for that league.
    Upgrade Gym and training facilities.
    No need to do focus training at this level.

Within 2-3 weeks you should have a competitive team as that took me to beat the no 1 rated team which is managed by someone

Click image for larger version

Name:	Team in beginning.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	22453

Comment

• moujik
      moujik commented
      Editing a comment
      did you buy any old and retired players from your other teams?

• Cento
      Cento commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I prefer not to do that to avoid issues, but with the new system there is nothing wrong with that, though you pay a penalty doing that as well

• moujik
      moujik commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, cause otherwise it would be harder for a newb to follow your advice. But I also prefer to try being competitive as soon as possible. It's more fun than watching your LVs get destroyed for 5 seasons.
      Last edited by moujik; 03-05-2020, 08:44 PM.

Furthermore to my previous post, I did the above with the Hong Kong Ninjas in Season 8 and about mid way the season. We did not win any game but using the strat as per above , we lost the following 2 games but end the season off by winning the last 3 games.

Season 9 we won the league and did not lose any games
    S10 we won the league again and lost only 1 game (we field a 2nd team)
    S 11 We lost 2 games and in the final we draw against the no 1
    S 12 We are no 1 and unbeaten so far.

My point is that we started with a team full of injuries and had to build a new squad. To lose 3 games out of about 30 is not bad at all. 3 finals won 2 and draw 1 and this season I dont think anyone will be able to beat us.

Oh and very important DONT PLAY players out of position as it can increase injuries.

See the HKN squad in the beginning and my comments, 9 of them is still part of the squad, 6 start every game. Hope this will be of a encouragement for the new managers

Click image for larger version

Name:	take over image.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	22455

Comment

• James
      James commented
      Editing a comment
      I also started out my second team at the end of the previous season and it looked a lot like your first post squad with 13 players and 2 retiring. I also had like 4 OC so although I have 13 players you have a situation where only 9 or so players are playing in position. I ended up losing my first 3 games but are currently on a 4 match winning streak after recruiting a few players. Although I have enjoyed the challenge of building a competitive squad, I have to agree with Dan that it is something that Gabe will have to look at in the future. It will be nice if the teams that turn Bot manage the squads and at least fill it up to 22 players. This will in turn also help to take players of the TM that will not get sold to the serious manager.

• Cento
      Cento commented
      Editing a comment
      And it will take ages to move from league 12 to the top 1-3. Surely there must be a better way to get quicker to the top?

• VanHunks
      VanHunks commented
      Editing a comment
      It takes about one season to move up a league if you are unbeaten in the lower leagues (PE Rams and Umlazi Kamikaze as examples) and then it slows down as you get to the top. Mombasa Bombers moved up to league one after winning league 2 twice in a row. I don't think you can really ask to move more than one league up at a time as it's not realistic and you shouldn't be able to move up a league each season unless you're unbeaten or close to it.

After three seasons, you can still discover new things about the game!

Just discovered I can set players to gain, lose or maintain weight.
    I'd just assumed that the quality of the nutrition programme took care of that.

Meanwhile I have a couple of forwards who've blobbed out to around 125kg and an unfortunate back who has wasted away to less than 70kg.

Comment

• VanHunks
      VanHunks commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you seriously only find out about it now?! Shame on us for letting that happen!

• GrahamNZ
      GrahamNZ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Poor on my part.

I think that the problem with struggling teams with Level 1 stadiums could be fixed with an addition that would benefit all teams.

At the start of each season, each team could have a pool of 10 local volunteers, from which they could choose to sign no more than two for $0.
    The OVR ratings of these players would be in the 76-79 range.

Comment

Can't see anything in the guide about this, player position wise have people experimented with wingers or fullbacks at outside centre if so what is the feedback? This is one position I am struggling with slightly and wondered if it would work

Comment

• michaelbolton
        michaelbolton commented
        Editing a comment
        I was afraid that would be the answer, just found it weird that neither of those had outside centre as a secondary position given how often it happens in pro rugby

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, you're correct, also fullbacks as flyhalves and vice versa. While those are pretty much feasible positional switches in real life pro rugby, the problem that will arise in the GRM milieu, is that the need to scout at all for positions like genuine outside centres will disappear, or making such a position basically obsolete in the game context. Thus from that viewpoint, I would support the current arrangement. Alternatively, and it would've required a re-work of the current positional model, one could categorised players for example as outside backs - thus covering outside centre, wings and fullbacks, etc. But at the moment I'm enjoying the current categorization plus the management challenges it brings to the fore to find adequate covers for each position.

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        there was an interesting discussion on secondary positions with the introduction of experience..

In real life some players are more versatile than others. Also what we realized in the discussion is that in different countries different secondary positions are more prevalent. So while it could give a flavour to players from some nations, it would be too difficult to implement, especially in regards to experience.

I still play fullbacks at centers though, cause I don't have better options sometimes
        I had one outside center with acc, speed max of 90 when I got the team, since then I'm yet to see another with 90+ pace, so I stick a pacey fullback there and hope for the best..
        It's a small sample size, but I would say the biggest downer is inconsistency. One game 70 another 30.

Fullback is such a multifaceted position, so the players tend to be better overall, and every one wants better players, but there's only one fullback spot. So you have to try to employ them else where

I think I enjoy the game more than winning in it, so I try to make my team play the way I would've done in real life, even if it's not the most efficient way in GRM. Eventually these realities will merge into one, a good recent example is the adjustment of drop goal kick success!

Maybe we'll just wait and some fullbacks will be as good at center
        Last edited by moujik; 03-18-2020, 09:20 PM.

I have only been in the game for about 2 weeks and I am gradually getting to understand it. The user guide has been a great help. One area that there seems little information about is what happens if I run out of cash. I must say that i hope not to, but it does seem quite easy to overextend oneself when adding facilities and buying players. I cannot find anything in the in-game documentation or the user guide about this. Maybe I have just not looked in the right place though.

I would assume that I cannot buy facilities or offer on players if my bank account is negative. However, will I lose players ( by being unable to renew contracts) or facilities (by being unable to pay for maintenance)? Are there any other penalties for my bank account being being in the red? I do not want to find out these things by trial and error.

Comment

• GrahamNZ
        GrahamNZ commented
        Editing a comment
        No penalties, but you'll eventually need to sell some of your better players in order to survive.
        With my Auckland Fear side, I made the mistake of using the money to improve the squad and a few facilities, but I should have upgraded to a Level 2 stadium immediately.
        Now 5 seasons later, I still have a Level 1 stadium, frequently have to sell my best players to buy cheaper ones, and am struggling to stay financially even.

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you - great idea, I'll extend that section on money management when I've some time available.

If you are in a negative balance/overdraft situation, it means you won't be able to bid on players on the transfer market, upgrade facilities, focus training. Technically, you can still buy free agents (for less than $1,000). You won't however lose your contracted players, even if you are running into greater negative balances. At the moment, there is no ceiling or actually floor how negative you can go, but it is self-evident it will be hopeless to continue with the same club and little prospects of turning the club around financially.

I don't know whether I've said it enough in the newbie guide, but be careful to pay any price on the transfer market to fill gaps in your squads. Typically, you can start off with acquiring some free agents, buy cheaper transfer market players, playing some players out of position, or even resort to local volunteers just to get the ball rolling in the first couple of weeks. Be careful how do you go about upgrading facilities, but I've covered that in the guide - most importantly, reserving $1m for stadium 2 upgrade.

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        chriss1 just to show that there are many ways of management.. I did not upgrade the stadium to level 2 for the first few seasons, but instead got training facilities to the max as soon as possible and started developing youth players. Eventually I did have to sell promising talents, but I could keep some as well.
        I bought an expensive flanker to fix that area of my squad, cause I wanted to be competitive as soon as possible, but I might as well have waited.
        Anyway if you buy, buy youngish players and leave 500k as a reserve.
        The simple formula is to have a positive margin after each two weeks. So keeping the number of players low <30 in the beginning

Thanks everyone for replies. Moujik's reply was interesting and I am glad he is happy with it. I have gone in a totally different direction with Oxford Blues. I am building up Merchandising and Marketing and Stadium as priorities. Therefore training is suffering and I am buying cheap older players in the main. It will be interesting to see whether my opposite strategy does better or worse. I was already fairly committed to my strategy before I received moujik's advice and I felt it was too late to change. I am now pondering bids on youth players and I have no idea of the market value of the new youngsters. I may end up with lots of new youngsters or none. I do not want to spend a lot because my training facilities are poor so probably I will get none. At least I will get an idea of the market value of a youth player.

Comment

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        you are playing a long game with Merch and Stadium. You will see returns after a few seasons. However, since you should be competitive straight away, I would wait to invest in Marketing, because you will fill the stadium anyway if you win a lot.

The fresh youth prices are quite low first couple of weeks of a season, as they have not adjusted yet.
        Youth forwards are more expensive than youth backs.

I would say roughly < 100k cheap, 100-160 expensive, > 160 has to be exceptional for your team

• zagrijs
        zagrijs commented
        Editing a comment
        You can download the player movements data into excel, filter for youths and then check per position what sort of prices were paid for what ovr. This is the best way to make market related bids. Keep in mind that you will sometimes see bids that are a fair bit out of line, where managers are either simply overpaying or have a specific reason that they don't want to miss out on a player. An example was with the Bulls I think I offered about 160k on a youth where I would typically offer 30k, but on the information that was available he exceeded everyone else that I had ever seen since the regen, hence I was willing to pay a premium to be sure that I get the player.

Is there any kind of a thread for newbies?

Comment

• zagrijs
        zagrijs commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm assuming you're referring to asking for help etc.
        There isn't a specific thread for newbies, but you can post questions here:
        https://globalrugbymanager.vbulletin...ns-here-please

• zagrijs
        zagrijs commented
        Editing a comment
        You can also see a lot of questions asked there, which should help, just bear in mind that some things have changed due to updates to the game.
    Working...
    X