Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 vs 1....always counter ruck
    1 vs 2...keep them honest, be a bugger and crash into the ruck a few times
    1 vs 3.... no way you can win, but MUST guard against pick and go.

real players know how to react. No one has to contest a ruck, but guarding is standard.
    But as this is a sim, and decisions are based on algorithms (maths) so I cant see why these AI players buggered off.

This is not a complaint, just an observation. And to me it looks like the problems of a few yrs back are reappearing since the defence lining up has been altered a bit.

Comment

I can't find the original posting for this bug, so thought I would post it here.

Basically it's a re-occurrence of the bug we saw last season, where the try-scorer touches down, but is pushed into touch by the defender after scoring, but the try is not awarded.

Comment

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        This is unfortunate, I have not seen this again since last season. I noticed, however, an improvement in try-scoring play where players running around in the in-goal area to score near the posts, are not likely to be pushed/tackled over the deadball line anymore, and more likely to touch down as expected.

examples of players running away from rucking..

league 6, round 3 Birkenhead Butchers - Aberdeen Rams
      9:57 #6 is going to the ruck and looks to have a good chance of winning a turn over, suddenly stops, turns away and runs away
      67:25 3 defenders going to a ruck in their own 22, stop, turn away and not contest.

ruck numbers set to low but not 0. And the strange thing is they do go for the ruck most of the time, but sometimes they don't for some reason. So I understand it's very challenging to debug.

Comment

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        How does it make sense to AI? If it's not a bug.. what makes a player run to the ruck in the first place? Does he plan to run up to the ruck just to turn around and run away? Does he see his phantom team mates joining the ruck in his head? Someone who is playing the game for the first time without ever watching it or training might do this yes, but I don't believe the developers are aiming for that level

If you saw the examples above, you'd stop making excuses
        Last edited by moujik; 09-12-2020, 04:29 AM.

• gpred
        gpred commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan is correct that this is not a bug, as explained last week. When ruck numbers are low, 0 is currently a possibility. We discussed some better solutions, and one will be implemented when I get a chance.

• GrahamNZ
        GrahamNZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Gabe is it true that despite sliders, there are only three settings?
        I have some of mine set in-between, so what happens there?

Copied from the newbie guide:

Ruck settings - note the difference in numbers between attacking and defending for each setting.

Ruck settings Attack typical Attack possible Defense typical Defense possible
      Low 1-2 1-4 1 0-3
      Med 2-3 2-5 1-2 1-4
      High 3-4 3-6 2-3 2-5

Also note, the same applies for line speed and depth. There is no in-between levels. If it makes you happy to set the slider between levels, by all means, do it, but rest assured only one level setting will be used!
      Last edited by danielw; 09-12-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it took me also some time to figure it out! Also, maybe the idea of sliders was also to make it possible to have continuous settings at a later stage, and not only discrete settings.

• samuelrambo
        samuelrambo commented
        Editing a comment
        It took me a while to figure out, too. I can’t say I’ve ever really mastered it - defence is not my strong point.

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        very helpful info!

one way to tackle it is to introduce the concept of set defensive line (if not there already).. So when the defensive line is set those ranges are valid, but when it's in broken play, there's an override. Just like there can potentially be an override during an advantage, as I mentioned before..

I don't know how players 'perceive' distances, but let's say when there are 5 - 6 players in line within 20m around the ruck, the player 'sees' it as a set defensive line..
        Last edited by moujik; 09-12-2020, 12:19 PM.
    Working...
    X