The Brotherhood - latest news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing for a testing trip to Hamburg

Just how fortunate the Irish were to win against Auckland Fear last weekend is likely to be highlighted by this coming rounds fixture in Hamburg. Careful analysis of the Hornets likely starting XV suggests that Irish are substantially outclassed in both the back row and backs line.

Number 8 Jim Kelly picked up an injury against the Fear and is benched for this next fixture but Colin Weeks returns as full-back after a two-week recovery. Key players Danny Booth and Charlie Mottistone remain in recovery. While the club has reduced the financial debt substantially over the past four weeks the tightening of the purse strings continues to affect Christian Kelly's match day selection with all injured players being required to standby as replacements and little lateral thinking being possible in way of positional shuffles.

Within the capacity the coach has David Bronson, who covered full-back last week, has been stationed on the wing in the hope that his tackling acumen might spoil the day for Hornets twinkle-toed Connor Roberts. Equally Weeks' return to the rear of the party will require him to be at his sharpest against the anticipated runners. A lot rests on the shoulders of half backs Kelvin Harlem (who retires at the end of this season) and Chas Dorfling to get the ball into the areas of the field that might give the Irish their best chance to weather the storm and sneak some points - but the squad are briefed on the Hornets strengths and they are undeniably superior on paper.

Another factor picked up is the large proportion of Irish in the Hornets ranks, if nothing else there'll be plenty of Guinness flowing from the clubhouse after the game.

Looking forward to another hefty challenge, all the best for a great game lederhosen!

Comment

• lederhosen
      lederhosen commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, if experience has taught me anything about this sim, nothing is certain, and strange things can occur at the most unbelievable moments.
      Hamburg has gone down many a time even though stats were stacked on our side.
      A loss this Friday would cancel all hopes, again, of reaching the play-offs.

• samuelrambo
      samuelrambo commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, led. This game has the potential to go either way on the day. I'd pick the Hornets, but I give the RFI every chance to cause an upset. Let's hope for a great game.

• lederhosen
      lederhosen commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll let Chunty do another wonderful write up.
      All I can say is there were an awful lot of knock-on's, bad line out throws, & handling errors from both sides....shocking.
      I thought we represent professional teams here...hee hee

Season 14 - Round 5 - League 3
    Hamburg Hornets 24 - 5 Ryde Fighting Irish

This week’s contest began with the Hornets kicking off from fourth place in the league and four points ahead of RFI but appearing the dominant outfit on paper. It didn’t take long for them to demonstrate their command and they could have been ahead within 53 seconds. Fancy footwork by Hornets wing Lucas Stevens opened a gap into the Irish in-goal and it was as he fell on the ball that a desperate combined challenge by Ronnie Spearman and Teddy Cross bundled him into touch. A near miss.

It served only to stimulate the hosts demand for an early statement. Less than three minutes later 206cm lock Cory King thundered into the Irish in-goal at the opposite corner while a clutch of white-shirted defenders desperately gripped at his gargantuan frame that thundered through them like a postman on Christmas Eve. It was a classic and admirable forward try.

It served its purpose and founded the shape of the game, at least in terms of point distribution. RFI found modest comfort in acquiring statistics that showed the clubs first territorial advantage of the season and an equal share of possession. What they did with that split was less effective and despite some moments when Irish backsides may have eased off the seats in the stands it was the hosts that stretched to a 17-0 lead with a further try from Dennis Vahirua and a penalty kick by Mark Carter after the Hornets peeled apart the Irish pack at the scrum.

RFI didn’t carve a notch in the bed-post until the sixty-fifth minute. An enjoyable attacking spell placed the Hornets on the back foot and culminated in a five-yard scrum. Kelvin Harlem rolled in the ball for Irish and then pulled away from the grunting mass as Billy Fowler, RFI’s 23-year-old Number 8, gathered the ball and peeled away from the rear of the scrum to sling a flat pass right to Jerry Parkinson who rarely misses an opportunity from so close. 17-5.

It was a brief moment of respite that led to nothing tangible – too late perhaps to make further inroads on the Hornets twelve-point lead and worsened when Connor Roberts, the man who RFI had feared the most, brilliantly skipped Colin Weeks floundering tackle and waltzed through the twenty-two to round off an inarguable victory.

There were plenty of missed opportunities throughout the game, most of them fluffed, and perhaps both sides were guilty of missing the greatest opportunity of all – of putting on an accomplished display of professional rugby!

Congratulations lederhosen – even playing under par your boys were too good, 😉

Comment

• lederhosen
      lederhosen commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel that the "bad luck" fairy was sitting on your bench this week.

Work priorities prevent a full report of the Nadi Raiders V RFI match, which is a shame as it was one of the craziest games ever.

If I mention that it ended in a 45-all draw that might be enough!

Comment

• samuelrambo
      samuelrambo commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoa! A points-fest! I'm not sure if Coach Kelly would be laughing (about the attacking prowess) or crying (about the defense) at the post-match presser.

• zagrijs
      zagrijs commented
      Editing a comment
      It was an interesting match Chunty.
      I'm happy with Nadi's turnaround the last three weeks getting 2 draws and a win, after they were nothing short of terrible in the first 3 weeks.

Tough decisions to be made at RFI

Despite an enjoyable win in the seasons final fixture against Allentown Reds in which thirteen of the starting XV notched up their best individual performances of the season, the Fighting Irish avoidance of relegation to League 4 is marred by the unavoidable fact that despite trimming the squad to the bare match-day 22, the economics evidence a seasonal deficit of $34,000.

For the club to make any advances the finances need to permit development, currently they don't, so more players will have to leave to reduce the overheads, possibly cutting the professional squad down to the bare match day XV and relying on local volunteers to staff the bench - which no doubt will see them in the starting line-up following injury to one or more of the pro's next season. Almost inevitably this seasons great escape from relegation has done little but to delay the inevitable by one season - prospects for Season 15 are gloomy, but a necessary step back in order to move forward in the long game.

As wages and contracts are under the spotlight it's a worrying time for the playing staff.

Comment

• samuelrambo
      samuelrambo commented
      Editing a comment
      I recall reading somewhere that you can still purchase players from the FA's provided you spend less than $1K even if you are in debt? Is that right?

• GrahamNZ
      GrahamNZ commented
      Editing a comment
      I am in a similar situation with the Christchurch Panthers, despite just having sold my best player.
      I have two of my other best players listed as well as some others.

Even though the Panthers had a reasonable season, a couple of home games had gate-takings of around $60K out of a possible $311k.
      That is where the problem lies. That is unrealistic.

• samuelrambo
      samuelrambo commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what kills you - and it compounds if you receive a compensatory payment for being a home game short. This takes the last gate takings you received in the previous season. If you had a poor season, you get a poor compensation payment and you start behind already. That certainly makes it tough. I had this issue with the Vortex this season. With our 0-9 League 1 season, we got a dreadful final home game gate revenue - and despite the fact I upgraded my stadium in the offseason to L3, I only got about $60K as a compensation payment in Week 1, so we've been in the red every other week. We've managed to claw our way to a playoff spot after an 0-2 start, and this success has meant we have only just in the past fortnight gotten the club's bank balance in the black in our most recent away week.

Oh yeah, forgot that you took them over, it would take a huge amount of seasons to turn them around. My view is they should be reset for you, facilities and finances, since you didn't take the club into debt

Comment

• Chunty
      Chunty commented
      Editing a comment
      To be fair the reset option was discussed but I know there were some who were unhappy with it which I appreciated so I specifically asked for the teams finances to not be reset, I just didn't appreciate how tricky it was going to be and Sam's hit the nail on the head with a poor compensation payment and as GrahamNZ said poor home attendances, it seemed that when we bagged one of our rare wins we weren't at home the next round - instead we got walloped away from home and then on the next occasion there was a home game the momentum was lost and few tickets were bought. Imagine how heartbreaking this must be when it's for real!!

• GrahamNZ
      GrahamNZ commented
      Editing a comment
      Chunty - those home attendances drop off way too much if you have a couple of poor results. Way too much in my opinion, as I've stated before on many occasions.

Two home gates of around $60k when your capacity allows $311k, and all of a sudden, your finances can go from manageable to an extra $500k in debt, and you need to sell a top player or three.

• samuelrambo
      samuelrambo commented
      Editing a comment
      I had this issue just two weeks ago - In Week 7 the Vortex had a home gate of just over $400K (3 star stadium) on the back of a five game win streak. They were then belted in Week 8 away ... then in our last game at home we picked up $100K less than our previous home game. I know that nothing is guaranteed, but I certainly noticed the difference on our balance sheet.

Cuts Bite Deeper for RFI!

When Christian Kelly hired a team of economic experts to map RFI’s route out of debt before Season 14 kicked off, following their plan, which included dismissing five of the squad of 27 employed at that time, he expected to make substantial inroads amounting to a partial recovery of around $100,000 by the end of the season – making a pleasurable dent in the overall debt amounting to three times that number.

You can imagine his frustration and disappointment that instead the club ended the season with a bare squad of 22 players and instead of cutting the debt, actually increased it by £35,000!

Christian stated to the RFI press team yesterday – “What the bean counters didn’t consider, and to be fair to them none of us did, was that the compensatory payment for hosting only four home games this season would be so low.

What Christian is referring to is the fact that whilst the club hosted four home games featuring an average crowd of 8,547, creating gate takings averaging just over $213,000 – the compensation payment received from GRM amounted to just $84,500, or the equivalent to a crowd of 3,380 – less than 50% of that anticipated and an unanticipated loss of almost $130,000.

Kelly, although disappointed, had this to say – “if nothing else the maths proves that trimming the wage bill worked – the only thing that let us down is GRMs paltry compensation – and sadly it shows that if it works then it will work again, which means that if we are serious about the long-term saving of this club we have no choice but to lose more players in the short term and cut the wage bill even further.”

With a deficit the club can’t even afford the nominal cost of downgrading expensive facilities, Kelly’s in a no-win situation, and is gutted to have to lose more of the stalwarts that performed so bravely in preventing the downward slide to League 4 in the face of such adversity. Already, during the play-off period, Oliver Simpson, Teddy Cross and Jim Kelly have left. They were selected for no other reason than their current contracts were about to expire and letting them go represented an immediate cut to the wage bill.

There’s little optimism at Smallbrook for next season. Sadly, this is likely to be reflected in decreasing home crowds which in turn extends the period taken for full financial recovery of the club if they are to maintain anything like a capable match day squad during the process. There are more immediate and radical options but as Kelly said “who’s going to pay to turn up and watch a squad of local volunteers”.

Comment

• GrahamNZ
      GrahamNZ commented
      Editing a comment
      The home crowds should decrease to 60% minimum in my opinion.
      With only 4 or 5 home games to watch each season, the crowds shouldn't diminish too much.
Working...
X