No announcement yet.

Season 15 League 8

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Season 15 League 8

  • #2
    Nelson Keas News and Team Selection (Round 1)

    I took charge of the Keas for Season 12, when they were known as the Philadelphia Irish.

    Season 12 - League 10 1st (beaten in the playoff final)

    Season 13 - League 9 1st (won the playoff final)

    Season 14 - League 9 4th (beaten in the playoff semi-final)

    No players left or joined during the off-season, but I've been very busy on the transfer market each season trying to build a balanced squad with good depth.
    Almost there, but need to trim in some areas, so have four players transfer listed (one centre, one flyhalf and two scrumhalfs).

    Now in League 8, we'll be aiming for the playoffs again, but it's getting tougher each season. We also want to be in a position where we can improve our club facilities.

    Our first game is at home against the dangerous Limerick Rebels.
    Our previous match was a close one, so I'm expecting another tight battle.

    With no injuries in the squad, we've named our strongest line-up.

    Nelson Keas v Limerick Rebels
    1 Richard Latu (ex Hong Kong Ninjas)
    2 Lazarus Le Roux (ex Springfield Spartans)
    3 Israel Wright (ex Belfast Bulls)
    4 Rangi Hodgsonn)ex Hamburg Hornets)
    5 Tony O'Brien (captain)
    6 Kaito Kimura (ex Rosario Rockets)
    7 Jeremy Gagnon (ex Hiroshima Pirates)
    8 Ichiro Murayama (ex Port Elizabeth Rams)
    9 Charlie Smith
    10 Andre Brown
    11 Andrew Ross
    12 Cowboy Conradie (ex Springfield Spartans)
    13 Pieter du Preez
    14 Jefferson Simon
    15 Tyler Legault
    Last edited by GrahamNZ; 08-26-2020, 04:04 AM.


    • GrahamNZ
      GrahamNZ commented
      Editing a comment
      Al the best for a good game, Jim.

  • #3
    Nelson Keas v Limerick Rebels (Round 1)

    Although it was the Rebels who looked dangerous early on, it was the Keas who opened the scoring, with number 8, Ichiro Murayama, crashing over under the posts in the 7th minute.
    It came following a scrum just outside the Limerick 22. There were seven phases of play, including a penetrating run from outside centre, Pieter du Preez, before the try was eventually scored.
    Flyhalf, Andre Brown, converted.
    7-0 to Nelson.

    It didn't take long for the Rebels to respond though.
    Nelson hooker, Lazarus Le Roux, fumbled the ball and lost it forward from the kickoff.
    The Rebels claimed it, and following three phases, the ball was flung out along the backline to inside centre, Tim Hastings, to outside centre, S Osadiaye, to flanker, J Muller, and finally to hooker, Jogn Burl, who ran in the try.
    A slick backline move that was well executed.
    Flyhalf, Jeff Dellavedova, converted from an awkward angle.
    7-7 after 10 minutes.

    A big injury blow for the Keas in the 15th minute, with Brown leaving the field holding his shoulder. George McMillan ran on to take over at flyhalf.

    The Keas then spent a long period on attack, going close to scoring on two occasions, before prop, Richard Latu, finished off a move in the 20th minute.
    From a lineout near the Limerick 10 metre mark, there were several incisive runs, as the Keas made their way to close to line through five phases, before Latu scored.
    The conversion for McMillan was an easy one.
    14-7 to Nelson.

    The Keas continued to dominate, but the Limerick defense was magnificent, repelling raid after raid.
    However, something had to give eventually, and in the 32nd minute, flanker, Jeremy Gagnon, who had been impressive, angled through a gap close to the line to dot down.
    McMillan converted and the home crowd were rightly jubilant.

    However, we've been here before against the Rebels and ended up losing, so they must never be written off!
    And indeed, as a punishing run by Rebels fullback, Eric Fugundes, saw the visitors back within reach, late in the first half.
    Fagundes started the move off, collecting a clearance near halfway, before a quick one-two with ex-Keas winger, Neil Linton, saw him dancing around McMillan and then crashing through fellow fullback, Tyler Legault, on a 40 metre run to score out wide.
    Dellavedova nailed a fine conversion.
    21-14 to Nelson after 36 minutes.

    The Rebels lost their flyhalf to injury as well, with Dellavedova being replaced by Felix Lawson.

    Halftime Score: Nelson Keas - 21, Limerick Rebels - 14

    The Rebels started the second half in a no-nonsense fashion, making their way downfield onto the attack.
    After Rebels lock, B Palmer, stole possession from a Nelson lineout near the 10 metre mark, the ball was moved along the backline, and Lawson put a cheeky little grubber kick through on the angle.
    Halfback, Lee Bowe, got there just ahead of Legault, and cut inside to go in for the try.
    Lawson converted and it was all tied up.
    21-21 after 46 minutes.

    In the 51st minute, Limerick messed up a defensive lineout inside theirown 22.
    From the resulting Nelson scrum, the ball was moved along the backline. Legault stepped inside his marker, and had a short run to the line to score the try.
    McMillan added the extra two.
    28-21 to Nelson.

    In the 64th minute, another Limerick lineout went wrong, and the Keas claimed the ball.
    The ball went to inside centre, Cowboy Conradie, down the blindside, and he gave it to du Preez.
    Du Preez bashed through a tackle, then ran on before drawing a defender and slipping a pass back to Conradie, who sprinted 40 metres to score.
    McMillan put over a nice conversion.
    35-21 to Nelson.

    Limerick lost a second player to injury, with Muller being replaced by K Fisilau.

    But back came the Limericks, with a well-worked try to Fagundes.
    Lawson hoisted a lovely crosskick across the field where he could see there weren't many players.
    Linton leapt and caught the kick before being wrapped up in a tackle.
    However, somehow Linton got his hands free and put the ball inside to that man, Fagundes, who darted 24 metres to run in his second try.
    Lawson converted from a tricky angle.
    35-28 to Nelson after 69 minutes.

    Just moments later, the Keas have a lineout outside the Limerick 22.
    Play moves through six phases and then the backline is released.
    Legault runs through a gap before passing to flanker, Kaito Kimura, who passes to Muriyama. The ball then goes to Gagnon, who draws in the last defender before passing to winger, Jefferson Simon, who races in unopposed to score in the corner.
    McMillan makes a hash of the conversion attempt.
    40-28 to Nelson after 73 minutes.

    However, it's not over yet and when the Rebels score again in the 76th minute, there's that sickly feeling of deja vu.
    It was a lovely try, finished off by lock, Jerome Martin, after sweeping backline moves punctuated by forward play.
    Lawson had no problem converting.
    40-35 to Nelson with just 4 minutes remaining.

    Determined not to throw away a deserved win, the Keas attack like men possessed, and a backline move starting from halfway eventually sees a deft inside pass put du Preez into the clear. Off goes the classy outside centre on a 30 metre run to score the try under the posts.
    McMillan converts.
    47-35 to Nelson and the win is surely theirs.

    And then, just to hammer the coffin lid shut, Legault scores after the siren, following more impressive attacking play.
    McMillan's successful conversion is the final act of a great game.

    Final Score: Nelson Keas - 54, Limerick Rebels - 35


    • GrahamNZ
      GrahamNZ commented
      Editing a comment
      All the best for your remaining games, Jim.

    • Jim
      Jim commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice recap Graham . Great game from the Keas this week, we just couldn't hold out against the relentless onslaught. Managed to make a good game out of it until we just ran out of gas at the end.

  • #4
    Nelson Keas News and Team Selection (Round 2)

    During the week, Ben Viguurs (23 year old scrumhalf with OVR 84), transferred to the Johannesburg Looters for a fee of $72k.
    I've been trying for a while to pick up another prop, so I was pleased to secure the services of Charlie Wade (23 years old with OVR 83) from the Soweto Hammerheads for a fee of $120k.

    This weekend, we're off to Germany, to face the Stuttgart Stags.
    It's a game that we should win, but upsets can and do happen occasionally, so we can't afford to be complacent.

    First choice flyhalf, Andre Brown, is the only squad member out injured at present, so there is the one (forced) change to the playing fifteen, with George McMillan moving up from the reserves bench.

    Stuttgart Stags v Nelson Keas
    1 Richard Latu
    2 Lazarus Le Roux
    3 Israel Wright
    4 Rangi Hodgson
    5 Tony O'Brien (captain)
    6 Kaito Kimura
    7 Jeremy Gagnon
    8 Ichiro Murayama
    9 Charlie Smith
    10 George McMillan
    11 Andrew Ross
    12 Cowboy Conradie
    13 Pieter du Preez
    14 Jefferson Simon
    15 Tyler Legault


    • #5
      Stuttgart Stags v Nelson Keas (Round 2)

      Although the Stags are a droid team, they selected a fully fit side for the game, which was nice to see.

      Following a lineout just inside the Stags half, strong drives, spearheaded by firstly inside centre, Cowboy Conradie, and then hooker, Lazarus Le Roux, took the Keas deep inside the 22.
      From the second ruck, the ball came out to prop, Richard Latu, who barged his way over, in a tackle, to score between the posts.
      Flyhalf, George McMillan, converted.
      7-0 to Nelson after 5 minutes.

      Nelson's second try began with a scything run from left winger, Andrew Ross, who was put through a gap, following a lineout close to his own 10 metre mark.
      Ross ran 25 metres before putting a grubber kick through past the last defender, and then regathering it 10 metres short of the tryline, only to be brought down.

      Not long afterwards, there was a scrum, 10 metres out.
      After two further rucks, the ball was flung out to right winger, Jefferson Simon, who scored on the overlap.
      McMillan was unsuccessful with the conversion.
      12-0 to Nelson after 16 minutes.

      In the 29th minute, McMillan spied an opportunity from a ruck 15 metres out from the Stuttgart line.
      He picked up the ball and ran in unopposed to score the try, before missing a conversion attempt that he should really have put over.
      17-0 to Nelson.

      A sweeping backline move took the Keas well downfield and onto the attack.
      Following nine further phases, the ball was moved wide.
      Fullback, Tyler Legault, was put through a gap just outside the 22, and ran on before passing to Ross.
      As Ross was about to be tackled short of the line, he gave the ball on his outside to scrumhalf, Charlie Smith, and he crossed to score.
      McMillan made up for his previous miss with a fine conversion from wide out.
      24-0 to Nelson after 34 minutes.

      Big Nelson lock, Rangi Hodgson, was injured in the build-up to the last try, and hobbled off to be replaced by the well-seasoned Chano Hargreaves.

      From a scrum near the Stags 10 metre line, a slick backline move saw the ball move out to Simon, who skipped around a diving tackle attempt on a 25 metre run to dot down.
      McMillan added the conversion.
      31-0 to Nelson after 38 minutes.

      Halftime Score: Stuttgart Stags - 0, Nelson Keas - 31

      Le Roux crossed for Nelson's sixth try, early in the second half after Simon had stepped inside one defender and drawn the final defender, before slipping an inside pass to his hooker.
      Le Roux ran 23 metres to score in a tackle.
      McMillan converted from an awkward angle.
      38-0 to Nelson after 43 minutes.

      The Stags lost their hooker, O Hall, to injury in 49th minute, with J Bianco running on in his place.

      In the 62nd minute, Nelson flanker, Kaito Kimura, finished off a nice series of short passes amongst the forwards, to crash over for a try.
      McMillan converted.
      45-0 to Nelson.

      After a build-up of four phases had taken the Keas close to the Stags tryline, the ball wasmoved to outside centre, Pieter du Preez, who smashed his way through a tackler to go over for the try.
      McMilllan had an easy conversion and didn't miss.
      52-0 to Nelson after 68 minutes.

      The Stuttgart front row popped up in a scrum 25 metres out and in front of their own line.
      McMillan stepped up to land the penalty goal.
      55-0 to Nelson after 76 minutes.

      The final piece of scoring action came in the last minute of play, when the ball was moved wide by the Keas, and Legault ran diagonally on the overlap to score in the corner.
      McMillan converted from one metre in from the sideline and the game was over.

      Final Score: Stuttgart Stags - 0, Nelson Keas - 62


      • GrahamNZ
        GrahamNZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Considering some of the mammoth scores we've seen racked up against undermanned droid sides in previous seasons, this was a pleasant surprise.
        Credit to Gabe.

    • #6
      Nelson Keas News and Team Selection (Round 3)

      Freddie Turner (22 year old flyhalf with OVR 89) left us during the week to join the Launceston Looters, for a transfer fee of $116k.

      This weekend, we host the Buenos Aires Reds, a team that will be pumped after defeating the Johannesburg Sharks in Round 2.

      After last week's game, our injury list has grown to two, with flyhalf, Andre Brown, being joined by big lock, Rangi Hodgson.
      So with vastly experienced Chano Hargeaves replacing Hodgson, our playing fifteen for the game is:

      Nelson Keas v Buenos Aires Reds
      1 Richard Latu
      2 Lazarus Le Roux
      3 Israel Wright
      4 Chano Hargreaves
      5 Tony O'Brien (captain)
      6 Kaito Kimura
      7 Jeremy Gagnon
      8 Ichiro Murayama
      9 Charlie Smith
      10 George McMillan
      11 Andrew Ross
      12 Cowboy Conradie
      13 Pieter du Preez
      14 Jefferson Simon
      15 Tyler Legault


      • #7
        Nelson Keas v Buenos Aires Reds (Round 3)

        Again it was nice to see a droid team fielding 15 fit players, with no local volunteers.

        The Keas opened the scoring in the 6th minute, with left winger, Andrew Ross, scoring in the corner after some efficient lead-up play.
        Flyhalf, George McMillan, landed a fine conversion from just a metre in from the sideline.
        7-0 to Nelson.

        The second Keas try was a beauty and started from a lineout on their own 22, from where the ball moved across the backline to Ross, who ran up to halfway.
        From the resulting ruck, Ross was again involved in taking play further before slipping an inside ball in the tackle to number 8, Ichiro Murayama.
        Then a quick pass to inside centre, Cowboy Conradie, who was through a gap and away on a 35 metre run to score under the posts.
        McMillan duly converted.
        14-0 to Nelson after 11 minutes.

        Just minutes later, Conradie was in for his second try.
        Following a lineout 5 metres inside the Buenos Aires half, the ball was delivered to Ross, who passed to McMillan, who passed to Conradie, who had again found a gap in the line and sprinted 35 metres to score.
        McMillan added the extra two from a handy angle.
        21-0 to Nelson after 16 minutes.

        A surging run from Keas flanker, Kaito Kimura, was prominent in the passage of play that culminated in McMillan drop-kicking a goal from 34 metres out and to the right of the posts.
        24-0 to Nelson after 22 minutes.

        During the rest of the first half, both sides spent times on attack, and the Reds looked very impressive on occasions.

        Halftime Score: Nelson Keas - 24, Buenos Aires Reds - 0

        The Keas scored early in the second half though, with outside centre, Pieter du Preez, crossing for the bonus point try,
        Following strong runs from Ross and Conradie that saw prop, Isaac Wright, tackled centimetres short, the ball came from the ruck to McMillan and then du Preeez, who finished off.
        McMillan converted easily enough.
        31-0 to Nelson after 42 minutes.

        A threatening attack by the Reds eventually ended with inside centre, D Atkins, putting over a dropkick in the 46th minute, from 18 metres out and just to the left of the posts.
        31-3 to Nelson.

        The Keas were given a stern test by the Reds over the next 20 minutes, having a strong pack and decent backline.
        However, there was no further scoring until a late burst from the Keas began in the 68th minute with a try to Ross.
        After a Nelson scrum on the Reds 22, and a further ruck, the ball was spread wide to where Ross found himself on the overlap, and ran 22 metres to dot down.
        McMillan converted from an awkward angle.
        38-3 to Nelson.

        The next Nelson try began from 5 metres inside their own half after McMillan had caught a long clearing kick.
        He threw a dummy before passing on the outside to fullback, Tyler Legault, who when confronted by a defender, put scrumhalf, Charles Smith, into the clear.
        Smith ran 25 metres well into the 22, before giving an inside pass to Murayama, who went over for the try.
        McMillan continued his good kicking form by converting.
        45-3 to Nelson after 72 minutes.

        A deft inside pass from Conradie to Murayama 43 metres out from the Reds tryline, allowed the experienced flanker to show off his skills, as he stepped one way and then the other to go past the only two defenders ahead of him. He then scampered off for a great try beside the posts.
        McMillan converted.
        52-3 to Nelson after 76 minutes.

        And then Keas right winger, Jefferson Simon, got in on the action by scoring the final try, pretty much straight after the kickoff.
        After lock/captain, Tony O'Brien, had taken the kickoff, the ball was passed to prop, Richard Latu, to Wright, and then to flanker, Jeremy Gagnon, who put Legault through a gap 15 metres inside the Nelson half.
        He ran to the Reds 10 metre line, before throwing out a long pass to Simon on the wing, who outpaced the chasing defendres for 40 metres before diving over out wide.
        McMillan blotted his copybook by sliding the conversion wide of the far post.
        57-3 to Nelson after 78 minutes.

        Du Preez looked to be running in another try in the final minute of play, but was called back for a forward pass.

        Final Score: Nelson Keas - 57, Buenos Aires Reds - 3


        • #8
          Nelson Keas News and Team Selection (Round 4)

          During the week, we signed retiring free agent, Huia Mason (34 year old fullback with OVR 99), for $27.5k.
          I was happy to spend that on him, as he gives our back three added strength, as we build towards the end of season playoffs (which we're aiming to be involved in).

          In Round 4, we're away to the Bristol Blues.

          With Huia Mason coming in at fullback, Tyler Legault takes the right wing spot from Jefferson Simon.
          First choice flyhalf, Andre Brown, returns from injury and also comes into the side, with George McMillan moving onto the reserves bench.

          Bristol Blues v Nelson Keas
          1 Richard Latu
          2 Lazarus Le Roux
          3 Israel Wright
          4 Chano Hargreaves
          5 Tony O'Brien (captain)
          6 Kaito Kimura
          7 Jeremy Gagnon
          8 Ichiro Murayama
          9 Charlie Smith
          10 Andre Brown
          11 Andrew Ross
          12 Cowboy Conradie
          13 Pieter du Preez
          14 Tyler Legault
          15 Huia Mason


          • GrahamNZ
            GrahamNZ commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think that the Bristol manager posts in the forum, but if he reads this, all the best for a good game.

          • samuelrambo
            samuelrambo commented
            Editing a comment
            Mason is a brilliant pickup. I remember coaching him in the days of the Wanganui Pirates and he was a terrific player back then. He'll be a real boost to Nelson's chances this season.

        • #9
          Bristol Blues v Nelson Keas (Round 4)

          I see that the Blues have picked up loose forward,Deon Stegman, and lock, and Casta Yen, so they're no mugs!

          Both sides made a scratchy start, but it was the Keas who opened the scoring, with prop, Richard Latu, scoring following a ruck that formed after hooker, Lazarus Le Roux had taken the ball close to the tryline.
          Flyhalf, Andre Brown, converted.
          7-0 to Nelson after 8 minutes.

          Nelson's second try followed shortly afterwards, with right winger, Tyler Legault, smashing through the final tackler on a 52 metre run to dot down.
          Brown converted from an awkward angle.
          14-0 to Nelson after 11 minutes.

          In the 26th minute, fullback, Huia Mason, crossed for his first try in Kea colours, following a well-worked build-up involving seven phases.
          Brown slid the conversion wide from a gettable angle.
          19-0 to Nelson.

          The Keas went in for their bonus point try late in the first half, with Mason scoring again after inside centre, Cowboy Conradie, put number 8, Ichiro Murayama, through a gap
          Murayama gave an inside pass to lock, Chano Hargreaves, who passed outside to Mason.
          The fullback had 24 metres to run in the try, and he did so.
          Brown converted.
          26-0 to Nelson.

          Halftime Score: Bristol Blues - 0, Nelson Keas - 26

          The Keas started the second half in great fashion, by claiming the kickoff and working their way downfield to score.
          The build-up was highlighted by two powerful runs by flanker, Jeremy Gagnon, and the coup de grace was delivered by Le Roux, with a 23 metre run to score under the posts.
          Brown had an easy conversion.
          33-0 to Nelson after 43 minutes.

          Nelson's next try was a goodie as well.
          It started inside their own half, with Brown catching a high ball, before slipping the ball to prop, Isaac Wright.
          Wright handed to Latu, who charged to halfway before passing to Conradie on his outside, and he took it past the 10 metre line before slipping a pass to Le Roux as he was being tackled.
          Le Roux passed to big prop, Hargreaves, who charged off into the 22 before delivering the final pass to Murayama.
          Brown converted from an awkward angle.
          40-0 to Nelson after 47 minutes.

          The Keas were on fire.
          In the 50th minute, the Blues conceded an offside penalty and Brown kicked the penalty goal from 35 metres out and 5 metres in from the sideline.
          43-0 to Nelson.

          The Nelson forwards were playing a key role in this game, with metre-eating runs and good support play.
          The next try featured strong runs from Le Roux, Legault (twice), lock/captain, Tony O'Brien, and Murayama, before the ball from the final ruck was handed to Le Roux to score the try.
          Brown underhit the conversion from out wide.
          48-0 to Nelson after 56 minutes.

          Back came Bristol onto the attack, and they went within centimetres of scoring before possession was turned over and the ball was cleared into touch.

          In the 62nd minute, the Keas scored again.
          A high kick was caught inside the Bristol 22 by fullback, E Llanes. but he was quickly wrapped up and the ball was turned over.
          Hargreaves passed from the base of the ruck to scrumhalf, Charlie Smith, who put Mason through a gap with a well-timed pass.
          Mason's hat-trick try on debut.
          Brown converted.
          55-0 to Nelson.

          Murayama looked certain to score in the 73rd minute, but the ball was jolted forward from his hands, as a was going across the tryline to score.
          Instead, it was the home side that scored a well-deserved consolation try in the 79th minute, with the impressive inside centre, E Bosch, running through a gap up to the Nelson 22, before giving the final pass to flyhalf, S Tuilagi, who ran the final 22 metres to score.
          Tuilagi converted his own try.
          55-7 to Nelson.

          Final Score: Bristol Blues - 7, Nelson Keas - 55


          • #10
            Nelson Keas News and Team Selection (Round 5)

            No players leaving or joining this week.
            We don't have any players transfer-listed either.

            This weekend, we host the Johannesburg Sharks.
            It's a game that we should win, but I never take anything for granted.

            Just one change to the side that defeated the Bristol Blues in Round 4, with Darryl Johnson replacing the injured Andrew Ross on the left wing
            In addition, we've switched Jeremy Gagnon to number 6 and Kaito Kimura to number 7.

            Nelson Keas v Johannesburg Sharks
            1 Richard Latu
            2 Lazarus Le Roux
            3 Israel Wright
            4 Chano Hargreaves
            5 Tony O'Brien (captain)
            6 Jeremy Gagnon
            7 Kaito Kimura
            8 Ichiro Murayama
            9 Charlie Smith
            10 Andre Brown
            11 Darryl Johnson
            12 Cowboy Conradie
            13 Pieter du Preez
            14 Tyler Legault
            15 Huia Mason
            Last edited by GrahamNZ; Today, 11:21 AM.