This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donations Counter

Gents, I know I'm like an Old Lady about this, but we should get our donations up to at least 10 over any thirty day period - I know we have much more managers that enjoy the game to the extent that they want to play it "forever", but it is never fair to expect the developers to carry all the cost running the game for everybody's enjoyment. Moreover, we can't expect new features like a premium version if we don't support the game already - rest assured, people's financial behavior are quite predictable, if they don't contribute now, they won't pay for a premium version later, even if they think or tell they would. You don't need a PhD in Psychology or Behavioral Economics to make those kind of predictions. Really, $5 a month means probably two beers less at the local pub, or skipping the coffee and desert when dining out in ZAR, and probably elsewhere as well, so it is not a big ask nor a big sacrifice, and perhaps even a healthy choice!

Point noted, Daniel. I donated a couple of weeks ago and will look to make regular donations each month.

Comment

Done! I concur.

Comment

Thankyou for the reminder, I have contributed $10 and will try to do so once a month

Comment

And $5 for two beers?
          Sounds like I need to move to South Africa

Comment

• danielw
            danielw commented
            Editing a comment
            Well done MC, and yes, generally dining out and liquor prices are very cheap in SA compared to international trends - even more so when you're paying with Aus$ or NZ$. Housing is also relatively affordable (depending on geographical areas) - the only thing that is a killer in SA for many households is the cost of vehicles, and because of the lack of or poor quality of public transport, that is a necessity to have - we pay relatively (as a factor of household income) much more for vehicles than our counterparts in Europe, and I guess in Aus or NZ. But then nature make up for it if you have to travel by foot or bicycle!

Thanks guys. Great to wake up and see a mini flurry of donations

Comment

Paid and done.. keep up the good work

Comment

Following James' reminder:
              "Speaking of the game costs, I see the number of managers that have contributed over the last 30 days have dropped again. Please guys, if everyone can contribute just a $5-10 per month, it will help to keep this game afloat. It will also allow Gpred and Ceejay a cup of coffee once a month (I think they deserve much more than this but I think they'll settle for that cup of coffee for now)."

I've made two donations on behalf of the Cape Town franchises - yes, I still could buy USD at reasonable rates, despite ZAR junk status

Comment

• zagrijs
                zagrijs commented
                Editing a comment
                I have added a donation now as well, though it didn't look like the counter updated.

• gpred
                gpred commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Zagrijs! It probably just wasn't counted as it has been less than 30 days since you last one. Just means it won't tick down when the last one drops off the 30 days period.

• zagrijs
                zagrijs commented
                Editing a comment
                That makes sense, that I'm a few days earlier than last month

Just to flag up, my approach to this is I have mentally commited to contributing a set amount per team managed per season, so will limit my donations to once a season (in the week of the grand finals (because is an easy landmark, and the anniversary of first donation), rather than a monthly approach or more regular approach. The main reasoning for this is that although Paypal is convenient, it still takes time and a bit of fiddling around, so easier to do less regularly, but with a bigger amount .

I currently run two teams, but the thought is in the back of my mind that I might take a 3rd team just before all 8 leagues fill up, in case I then regret not doing so when there is no option available! Has been great to see the leagues steadily filling up after an initial slow start; looks like we will be full before the end of season 3 I reckon.

Comment

• danielw
                danielw commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you! It's great to see that the top managers are openly willing to invest in the game we all love.

Well done, donations above the 10 mark per rolling 30-day period!

Comment

• gpred
                gpred commented
                Editing a comment
                We have mentioned a number of times how much the game costs to run. In this regard, we ill change the donations counter to reflect how much of the costs we have actually covered in the future. This will leave nobody in any doubt. Hopefully it makes a difference.

• Cento
                Cento commented
                Editing a comment
                I will make a donation in the next 3-4 days.

• danielw
                danielw commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes,showing how much of the costs are covered will be a good improvement, hopefully it will speak directly to the conscience of managers, of which too few are donating at the moment, to help securing the sustainability of the game - no point in having great plans to develop your team if the game won't be around for many seasons to come. Simple as that, really.
                Last edited by danielw; 05-04-2017, 04:15 PM.

Quoting from an earlier post by Gpred a while ago, just to refresh memories and simply because some things are worth repeating a lot before most people get it:

[QUOTE] I agree that with a game of this quality we should be getting a lot more exposure. And in the long term I think we will.
              As far as the online game goes, we don't have to get rich from this, but just want a good community of the best managers in the world. Because this is something we play and enjoy we are happy if it can cover costs. If it can make enough on top of that so that ceejay and I can have a hard earned cup of coffee every now and then, that would be awesome!
              Once the game is full we only need an average of $0.65 cents per manager per month to cover costs! [QUOTE]

Obviously, the figure of 0.65c is based on 256 managers (8 leagues x 32 teams) contributing every month (256 x 0.65 x 12). At the moment we have nearly 6 leagues full (probably about 180 managers in theory, but of which many managers have multiple teams, some have three or more teams within and/or across leagues, so in reality probably not more than 80 different persons (no, I haven't checked, guesswork at best). Let us say we have potentially 50 willing donators, it means about $3-4 donation on average per month to cover the game's running costs . Let us work on 20 donators - then it boils down to $8-9 per month. Well, if it is 10 donators only - which is currently the case - it increases to $16-17 on average per month. And I don't think we are averaging that (myself included) - thus the developers' pockets are leaking, and has been for some time.

Thus, the next big drive should be to get the number of contributors up to at least 20 per month, making it more likely to break-even on an ongoing basis. Perhaps we should start to think outside the box to entice managers to contribute towards the game, incentives, etc?
              Last edited by danielw; 05-05-2017, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Gents, don't ignore the donations counter...

The three Cape Town franchises have made their monthly donations. Let's match or exceed last month's effort!

Comment

Hi Gents

Just a friendly reminder to make a donation every once in a while. Long live GRM!

Comment

• samuelrambo
                    samuelrambo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Army has donated.

• danielw
                    danielw commented
                    Editing a comment
                    and the three capetonian musketeers chipped in as well.

• gpred
                    gpred commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Sam and Dan. Shaping as a good month if this continues

I also play online in other groups. We also have monatary problems and have to make a wipround or lose forums etc....
                  The thing that helped most was a pic or list of just how much costs, and for how long. Our Forum cost 190$ for 2 yrs for example. Knowing that its easy SEE for ones self
                  just how much one could/should donate.

Comment

Originally posted by lederhosen View Post
                    I also play online in other groups. We also have monatary problems and have to make a wipround or lose forums etc....
                    The thing that helped most was a pic or list of just how much costs, and for how long. Our Forum cost 190$ for 2 yrs for example. Knowing that its easy SEE for ones self
                    just how much one could/should donate.
                    We will be adding this functionality. In the mean time the game does currently cost a bit more to run that we receive, so any donations are gratefully received. Thanks to those who have this month

Comment

Working...
                    X