This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRM Live FAQ - Questions here please!

Please post any questions you have here and we will try to organize them into an FAQ of sorts. All questions
    are welcome, from both players and those yet to have joined.

Hey guys, real excited about GRM online (can you tell!). Conscious stream of thought type question list follows. Some relate to questions of potential changes from or similarities with RD given that quite a lot of initial players are likely to have prior RD experience - hope that is OK. Also apologies if already answered elsewhere.

1. First a suggestion - would a separate directory on this msg board perhaps be warranted for us to post our team related update threadsfor those of us who choose to go down that route (not looking at Chunty and SamRam in particular here at all, !cough!) - was thinking of just dumping my starting thread in general discussion, but might be neater if had its own space from the beginning?
    2. Does Fitness train x3 as fast as other attributes as is the case in RD or not? Do any other attributes/skills have fundamentally different underlying training rates, or all the same (then factored by individaul player and facilities)?
    3. I understand that training rates are player specific, 1 rate for attributes the other for skills, and it is explained that this will provide diminishing returns as the olayer trains 'away' from his natural state. How does the quality of facilities impact on this in terms of a % or multiple - again does it follow the model you had in RD of Lvl 1: 50%, Lvl 2: 62.5%, Lvl 3: 75%, Lvl 4: 87.5%, Lvl 5: 100% efficiency of the individual or different?
    4. This is just a clarification on the impact of changing weight: I am assuming that the altered weight impact on training isn't back-dated, only affects once weight gain/loss achieved, is this correct?
    5. Fundamentally, would be useful to understand if there are any basic alterations to the game engine from what we are familiar with in RD (Although I was an early purchaser of GRM, time has remained focussed on RD to date (and will continue with both now), so haven't the GRM experiental learning). An example might be that it looks like the selection of kick-off instructions looks to be working correctly (only 1 game sample mind you, so I may have just been lucky!) in GRM.
    6. Could you provide some clarification/comment on the timing of the GRM week. From the clock on the interface it looks like we have to set our team.strategy 48 hours ahead of match day, and that rollover takes place around 36 hours after matches. Rollover also takes a good few hours. Any reason why things are so stretched out? Guess I am not sure how this will fit together come playoff weeks with 2 matches to be squeezed in.
    7. Hopefully an easy one to finish - in the help re: facilities it mentions that better scouts would enable better set up of training matches to mirror upcoming opponents. Where is it in the interface that you access/receive this info - I can't see it but may just be me!

Thanks in advance for your insight and assistance!

Think I'll leave it at that for today, time to think about supper, and bed to follow.

S.

Comment

• ceejay
      ceejay commented
      Editing a comment
      Some answers to your questions Although I posted them some were answered by gpred also.

1. The blog section is perfect for this and is available to all registered forum users. Alternatively
      we could create a 'team threads' forum below general discussion. Would be keen to hear
      everyone's thoughts on this.

2. Attributes and skills train at different rates. The rate of training of all attributes will be the same if they are all the same amount from their initial value. Same applies to skills. The only exception is fitness, which trains much faster and does not taper off as much.

3. The impact of facilities varies in a linear way from 60% to 100% of the full effect when going from 1 star to 5 star.

4. That is correct. The impact only takes effect after gaining or losing a certain amount from your players starting weight.

5. There are no significant differences in the match engine, just a few aesthetic things tidied up. The kick offs do work, but this is not a match engine issue. They don’t work in RD because the website sends the engine the wrong data. Another difference which is not really a match engine issue is that the training model means a team in GRM will be very different to a team in RD. What makes a good team might be different too and it is something we will all have to try and figure out, which should make things very interesting.

6. These time frames are largely to give us some wiggle room so we don't have delays when something goes wrong. Playoff
      time we may be able to bunch things together a bit more as the number of game sims required significantly reduces.

During rollover you can still access and watch games or play training matches.

7. We have left this info in from GRM offline by mistake. This is not how the training matches work in GRM live. You have unlimited training
      matches against benchmark teams. They will not mirror upcoming opponents and have no link to scouting.
      Last edited by ceejay; 05-31-2016, 06:20 AM.

• Chunty
      Chunty commented
      Editing a comment
      I am intending to create a suitable blog for the future of the Brotherhood's new franchise in GRM so you've pretty much read my mind there Scorchio, it's one of my jobs for tomorrow before the season kicks off!

Thanks for the responses lads, that helps fill in some gaps in my understanding. A couple more queries now spring to mind:

1. Is it possible to export (or in some way save) the stats generated by a training match?
    2. Are training matches archived anywhere (e.g. on the server or locally on some directory on our machines), or are they one time events then discarded? If discarded, the ability to do (1) above would be very welcome.
    3. Back to understanding training impacts - with the weight gain/loss it indicates impact on training kicks in at +- 3kg. Does this impact increase as more weight is piled on/off beyond the +-3kg threshold, or is it just one rate no matter how much bulk players put on or lose?

Re: my query on team threads/blogs, I was just unsure exactly what structure the blogs will end up as in terms of generating threads/discussion. More than happy to give it a go - learning by doing, always the best way!

Cheers

S.

Comment

• gpred
      gpred commented
      Editing a comment
      Training matches aren't archived anywhere permanently. I will add in the option to export the stats to a spreadsheet in an upcoming build.

The more you are above the +/- 3kg level the bigger the training impact.

I would have a question :

the YA are they visible for the 8 leagues or is there, 1 Youth academy for per league?
    How many youth are they per Season?

Comment

• gpred
      gpred commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, Driods included. Hopefully they aren't stupid!

• Scorchio
      Scorchio commented
      Editing a comment
      This is pretty interesting gpred. I may be bodging different discussions from the past together, but I thought that GRM was intending to operate a 'closed' player database system where the only new players injected into the database were via the YA. Only unsigned or released players would appear on the FA market (apart from initial seeding of the market on day 1). Of course the transfer system in 'closed' by definition. Is this correct or am I mixing things up? If YA is the only source of new players, some teams are eventually going to end up with pretty small squads, no?!

• gpred
      gpred commented
      Editing a comment
      Free agents also enter the system when their stocks from below certain levels.

[Side note - to avoid confusion as we proeed forward, I am going to refer to 'players' as being the squad members existing in the database, and use the term 'mamager' for the IRL human players of GRM!]

Some more questions, more flavour related this time!

1) There seems to be an interesting spread of nations each player is associated with in the database - has a similar approach to what you have previously outlined was implemented for RD relating to weighted by IRB rankings been used, or an alternative (which I am assuming given the prevalence of players from far and wide that I spot!).
    2) So a related question to player nationality is do you envisage international matches/world cup type competitions in the future of GRM online? (which would be cool!) .In the stats page their is a line for each player relating to internationals so maybe this is intended to be introduced in time, or is it a hangover from the offline version?
    3) I wonder what plans are for keeping managers not involved in the playoffs engaged during the couple of weeks when the top 8 are fighting over being crowned champions. Not sure how easy would be for you to implement, but might it be possible to have the next ranks down (so 9-16, etc.) also playing off to provide an end of season finishing position from 1-32 for each team? Just an idea to throw out to be kicked around.
    4) The inner stats nerd in me is really interested in how you went about creating the initial team squads? Having looked closely at 3 or 4 teams, it looks like things will be well balanced, but there does still appear to be a variety to the make-up of the squads rather than being carbon copies,e.g some having a couple more stand-out players (80+ overall, I've even seen a 90+!), but then less depth through the 1st XV and onto the bench, some with better lock pairings, others a more formidable front-row. Sure will not be easy to describe in a couple of short sentences given likely utilises quite complicated algorithms, but any insight would be of interest (to me at least!).

I'll leave it at that for now, oh and thanks for the previous responses above!

Comment

A very simple question to answer, I'm sure:
      Do all teams see the same free agents at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by samuelrambo View Post
        A very simple question to answer, I'm sure:
        Do all teams see the same free agents at the same time?
        No. There is a global pool of free agents. The probability of you getting a viewing of any given free agent from that pool on any given week is linked to your scouting facility level.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorchio View Post
          [Side note - to avoid confusion as we proeed forward, I am going to refer to 'players' as being the squad members existing in the database, and use the term 'mamager' for the IRL human players of GRM!]

Some more questions, more flavour related this time!

1) There seems to be an interesting spread of nations each player is associated with in the database - has a similar approach to what you have previously outlined was implemented for RD relating to weighted by IRB rankings been used, or an alternative (which I am assuming given the prevalence of players from far and wide that I spot!).
          2) So a related question to player nationality is do you envisage international matches/world cup type competitions in the future of GRM online? (which would be cool!) .In the stats page their is a line for each player relating to internationals so maybe this is intended to be introduced in time, or is it a hangover from the offline version?
          3) I wonder what plans are for keeping managers not involved in the playoffs engaged during the couple of weeks when the top 8 are fighting over being crowned champions. Not sure how easy would be for you to implement, but might it be possible to have the next ranks down (so 9-16, etc.) also playing off to provide an end of season finishing position from 1-32 for each team? Just an idea to throw out to be kicked around.
          4) The inner stats nerd in me is really interested in how you went about creating the initial team squads? Having looked closely at 3 or 4 teams, it looks like things will be well balanced, but there does still appear to be a variety to the make-up of the squads rather than being carbon copies,e.g some having a couple more stand-out players (80+ overall, I've even seen a 90+!), but then less depth through the 1st XV and onto the bench, some with better lock pairings, others a more formidable front-row. Sure will not be easy to describe in a couple of short sentences given likely utilises quite complicated algorithms, but any insight would be of interest (to me at least!).

I'll leave it at that for now, oh and thanks for the previous responses above!
          1) Each nationality has an average quality of player associated with them when they are generated. This is linked to that nations standing in Rugby in real like. So a player generated from New Zealand is more likely to be better than a player generated from Hong Kong.
          2) We plan a World cup every four seasons. We also plan to allow you to import GRM LIVE international sides into GRM offline and play your own tournaments.
          3) We have been thinking about selecting All Stars squads from those players not involved in finals. One All Stars squad per league could play their own knockout to determine an All Stars champion. With cash given to clubs who get players selected for All Stars duties. Keen to hear peoples thoughts in this.
          4) Each club is generated with an initial squad with random nationalities. Each player is generated randomly based on the average quality of the nation they come from. This approach should lead initially to balanced teams with some clubs possibly getting an extra star or two.

Comment

Had a bit of an odd thing with todays first game. For some reason my team name came up as the default one before I'd changed it to LI and it asked me to reset the kit settings before playing the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Chunty View Post
              Had a bit of an odd thing with todays first game. For some reason my team name came up as the default one before I'd changed it to LI and it asked me to reset the kit settings before playing the game?

The kit editor that appears before a match is to allow you to edit strips in the event of a clash.

It seems that you did not update changes made to your team before the deadline, which explains why
              your kit and team names were not changed. gpred posted the following on your blog,

Hi Chunty, it doesn't look like you have pressed the 'Update Changes' button yet on the top banner.
              Make sure you do this before rollover, or else you will lose any changes you have made this week.
              This also means that any squad and strategy adjustments you made will not come through in this weeks game.
              We are going to be releasing an update soon which tries to make it more obvious when you have changes that need to be saved.

We realise this is a different system to RD which might result in a few teathing problems, so please bear with is and click
              the 'update changes' button as often as possible!

Comment

Mine did it for every match I watched too.

Comment

The jersey editor should come up at every match. It gives you the chance to prevent jersey clashes.

Comment

1 As we will have each 8 games away and at home,
                    Will we have a kinda off bonus for the home game? team wanted to impress their crowd?

2 What will happend at the end of the season? are we staying in the same group of 4 or Are we going up/down or else.

Comment

• ceejay
                      ceejay commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not sure about the first question?

At the end of the season you stay where you are, there is no movement.

• EthanHope
                      EthanHope commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I meant will we see a bonus for the home team? playing a litle better than usual, trying to impress their supporter from their home time.

Do you mean a boost to performance, like a home ground advantage?

Comment

There isn't a performance bonus based on home games. We could implement something similar to the captains boost for homes game, where the full effect is gained if the crowd is full and lessens based on how empty the stands are.
                      Last edited by ceejay; 06-05-2016, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X