Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it it possible to add the option of an apostrophe into a player's name, so that O Brien could be O'Brien?

Comment

• gpred, are you going to update the training teams for this rollover?

Comment

• gpred
        gpred commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I plan to.

• samuelrambo
        samuelrambo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. You're a champion!
        BTW I concur with the general consensus on the impact of the adjustment in the most recent AI update. There are now fewer missed tackles, but the game still flows exceptionally well and continues to look brilliant.
        I look forward to seeing the latest update in this coming weekend's matches.

• I have uploaded another update of the AI for downloading for those who want to test it. There should be a few more actively broken tackles than the last update but still much less than the weekends games.

Comment

• GrahamNZ
        GrahamNZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep - looks great!

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        samuelrambo I get exactly what you mean. You can more or less predict the result of the collision just like in the real game.

gpred the training teams and the update play greatly!

• lederhosen
        lederhosen commented
        Editing a comment
        looked great.

• Regarding the optimal weights of players per position, is it best to stick within 3kg of those weights or the player's usual weight?

Comment

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        Personally, I would've modeled some exponential function how attributes are affected (maybe such effects are well researched and known in sport science) because it seems to me way lob-sided into the over-weight category which I tend to frown upon. Just to give you an idea of a real life example - a prop who weighed about 125kg were doing the "bronco" tests at around 7m30s. In the following season after he toned his weight down to 115 kg, he did the same tests at 5m40s (without a real loss in functional strength, mind you). I would say, given a body fat percentage of 10-15%, his natural weight is 110-115 kg. Guess what, the coaches liked him considerably more as a player in the new season and he was moved into the regular lineup, because no matter how you cut it, rugby primarily is a game of mobility and agility. But anyway, it's not a biggie, I just thought it's perhaps a nice element of realism that can be added.

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        danielw there's no body fat on GRM players I assume that all those weight gains are pure muscle.

I beleve present model makes absolute sense. It'd be nice to know the coefficents at -/+10 though, to plan training better..

• lederhosen
        lederhosen commented
        Editing a comment
        all things being equal, the bigger (weight) man should dominate most situations over time. That's why most modern day players tend to be HUGE when compared to my days back in the 70's

GRM has big props, who tend to be slow, or 2nd row players that, to me, are way to slow.
        And with Speed & acceleration capped (as all skills etc are) then once you can't improve any more then why not hit the weights and bulk up a little....helps improve strength too. In fact I have more than one player that can no longer improve any of their physical attributes so I let them drink more Guinness.

• My rant of the day...

It's been around for yrs now. I know the spacing of defensive players was changed a while back to prevent beach balls running between defenders as they tended to just watch attackers run by.
      The Sim has greatly improved in every aspect but this one. To be fair, most team AI's either don't recognize this or make poor decisions, like going for crash or passing to the well covered side.
      The other problem I see is that it makes no difference if you commit more or less defenders into a ruck/maul, the defensive coverage with the offensive overlap still occurs.
      Is there any possibility to correct this without the old problem coming back??

This does not seem to be a problem on "set plays" lineout, scrums or slow penalty's.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by lederhosen; 07-24-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• lederhosen
        lederhosen commented
        Editing a comment
        I would not change anything this season either...we all just got used to the new bling and are liking it.
        All I wanted to point out was that coverage could be a tad better that's all.
        And the dangers of unwanted side effects when changing/adding new behaviour can also appear.

• Mouse
        Mouse commented
        Editing a comment
        I would like to keep things as they are for a while. Little adjustments can have a big impact on stratagies and squads, occasionally I feel like I am running to stand still. Love the game and not much wrong with it and what there is adds to the charm and who does not need a little frustration in their lives.

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        you'd think that ruck numbers is an organic thing from situation to situation, but I've seen teams doing it 'blindly'. One team targets the break down and steals a couple of balls in the first half. In the second half the other team 'adjusts' and put more men in, and the first team commit hardly anyone into the ruck and use extra tacklers.
        Now in Aotearoa it is so inconsistent with 'players leaving feet', so it's hard to know what the break down will look like eventually.
        The good thing about rucks in GRM is that you can often predict the outcome from how the play develops and we shouldn't lose it!

• What can be a reason NOT to take a mark when defense is closing down?

Comment

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        zagrijs ok, so low Awareness? I see it from time to time in league and training games. The pressure from the defense should be the very cause to take the mark though

• danielw
        danielw commented
        Editing a comment
        I always justify "poor" decisions taken as a function of players on the field that don't have an elevated view of what is in front of them, which a spectator situated in the pavilion may have. Nonethless, I feel some more fine tuning can be done RE marks and quick taps.

• zagrijs
        zagrijs commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree that pressure should lead to taking marks, but pressure also causes players to make bad decisions, when they need to make a decision in a split second.
        I'm guessing but possibly experience as well, since low experience means less options perhaps taking the mark doesn't always come up as an option on low Exp players.

• EDIT: Please ignore! I don't delete it because Wanderer has already replied..

I Focus trained three skills. Money charged in the financial report. But training did not have any effect. Those skills are not maxed out.

Does Focus training work?
      Last edited by moujik; 07-27-2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Wanderer
        Wanderer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the clarification Van 👍

• VanHunks
        VanHunks commented
        Editing a comment
        No problemo. A high 90s skill rate player can get up to 0.7 gain with focus if I'm not mistaken. I don't focus train guys with rates below 70 as a rule, unless I get a level 3 stadium and I fill it every home game. As a rule I have between 0 and 2 guys on focus depending on finances and urgent skill shortage that needs addressing.

• moujik
        moujik commented
        Editing a comment
        Is Focus training affected by age or weight change?

• No, its fixed solely on skill training rates. Training facilities don't matter either. The $5000k gets everyone the same amount of training depending only on skill rates

Comment

• Vaguely remember this being mentioned a while back but can't find the answer, how easy would it be to add some searches to TM? Ie only interested in players below 21 or only want to see wingers?

Comment

• Question to managers who invest in youth..

I build my team primarily from youth recruits. Each year I might get a player who can potentially be better than the ones I have. So I sell the older one to balance the books.
          I just realized my team might not get better for ten seasons, if I carry on exchanging 22-24 yos with 19 yos, until I eventually settle.

If you have experienced the same thing, what's your strategy?

Comment

• moujik
            moujik commented
            Editing a comment
            When I started this strategy, we didn't have experience effect, but that's a good point!

Also, the game evolves and during evolution the mobility - strength balance fluctuates. So you train a loosie for a few seasons, then some skills gain more importance and you realize that your player lacks them. So sometimes you want to have different developing players to cover these fluctuations. But that leaves even fewer spots for the elder players.

But the time Butchers get to top divisions (if), we need to have top players, so if I see a 24 yo won't be as good as 19 yo after 6 seasons, it's hard not to trade up. Players I see on the TL are mostly a couple of seasons rentals.

How did you guys approach the promotions to top 3 leagues? What kind of teams did you have?
            Last edited by moujik; 08-23-2020, 09:23 PM.

• samuelrambo
            samuelrambo commented
            Editing a comment
            You need good players - pretty simple really. In League 1 the usual suspects have pretty much faultless players - brilliance everywhere. To be competitive you need to have experienced players - don't underestimate the value this brings. You might have an absolutely brilliant rookie player who is 90+ OVR, but he can be schooled by an experienced player with the same or less ability. You need a core of experience in most positions - and also depth in the reserves so the bench is not a weakness. I think the best teams can cover injuries well (look at the Spartans in L1 last season with their injuries to the midfield) because they have depth.

The only risk of trading up is that you concern yourself with the future and not the now. It is all very well to have an eye looking forward, but if your team is always based on potential for the future, you won't do particularly well in the present. You'll be the team that never quite delivers.

• Jim
            Jim commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with Sam. From what I've seen, experience has a huge impact on a players overall ability. I oftentimes have a more experienced player starting in front of a player that looks better on paper, but has little to no experience..
            Last edited by Jim; 09-11-2020, 09:39 PM.

• I have a query about initial finances for a new team. I probably do not understand what happens when one takes over a team. However, I took over Johannesburg Blitz in league 3 during week 1. (I know that I have a long string of heavy defeats ahead of me!). However, I believe that a new team starts of with $2,000,000. My week 1 profit/loss was -$2,418 made up of ticket sales+members and merch - wages - facility upkeep. All other categories in week 1 were zero. Therefore I was expecting my available funds at the beginning of week 2 to be $2,000,000-$2418. However, the actual value is $1,909,298 which differs from the value I expected of $1,997,582 by $88,224. Interestingly $88,225 is the amount of gate money for week 1. Therefore it appears to me that my gate money for week 1 has not been included in my available funds at the beginning of week 2.

Comment

• zagrijs
            zagrijs commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I think its an unlucky timing thing. The advantage in future seasons is that you get the money up front, so you have funds available at the start of the season, should you like to recruit some players.
            Last edited by zagrijs; 08-31-2020, 05:52 PM.

• VanHunks
            VanHunks commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup Zagrijs is right as usual

• gpred
            gpred commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty sure how zagrijs describes it is what happened. Sorry about that.

• Comment

• chriss1
            chriss1 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the screenshpt asked for in #491.

• VanHunks
            VanHunks commented
            Editing a comment
            I am no accountant (Zagrijs is 😉) but I believe you are right Chris. Looks like something funny happened

• zagrijs
            zagrijs commented
            Editing a comment
            I think its best if Gabe confirms,if it is just a timing thing, if it was I would have thought that the reduced home compensation would have shown as Season 14 Round 11, and not Season 15 Round 1.

• Gabe, if possible, and not too much extra work, is it possible to have transfer market and free agents players downloadable per CSV files? I'm trying to implement an assessment tool of the players and having player stats downloadable will be a great help.
          Last edited by danielw; 09-10-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• michaelbolton
            michaelbolton commented
            Editing a comment
            I would also like this feature if it is easy

• gpred
            gpred commented
            Editing a comment
            Can try and add this for an end of season feature. Will see how we go. Might need a reminder toward the end of the season too

• danielw
            danielw commented
            Editing a comment
            Great! Downloads will also make it possible to sort/filter transfer market players quickly according one's search criteria.

• Looks like I accidentally missed a step in the rollover of importing match data which means the standings and stats do not account for the latest round. This shouldn't effect anything and will automatically correct at the next rollover.

Sorry about that. First time for everything I guess

Comment

• gpred
            gpred commented
            Editing a comment
            121!!!!

Yeah. that's probably one unintended consequence, injuries won't take effect. They will next rollover, or we could cancel all injuries? If I promise this won't happen again

• samuelrambo
            samuelrambo commented
            Editing a comment
            I would be happy to cancel all injuries from this past weekend. I note that existing injuries have updated, so the week has gone off there ...

• danielw
            danielw commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha ha, I don't think anybody will have a moral objection, or otherwise, if this week's injuries are cancelled, i.e. we will deem it as if all injured players that left the field over the past weekend have been cleared by medical staff this morning!

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Srumhalf bid.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	26094 I just want to know the following. I bid on a player on the TM Jackson Rowe. He was bought for &131 477 by the Spartans, though my bid was $134325? Why is that? See the image attached
          Attached Files

Comment

• gpred
            gpred commented
            Editing a comment
            Further to this the max and min offers are set relative to the EMV. Since the EMV is dynamic, at rollover it may change and any offers received above this are capped to be within this range.

• gpred
            gpred commented
            Editing a comment
            Regarding the scout discount, this is only applied upon signing the player up.

So in a nutshell, James got lucky and Cento did not.

• danielw
            danielw commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the clarification! Actually, while I was taking a run earlier, I thought that is the more logical explanation, MIN and MAX can vary from one week to the next, and that dispels the "discount theory" of scouting levels on bids. Shows what clean, healthy air and some physical activity can do on one's thought process!
        Working...
        X